Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Since I Turned 40, I Have...

  1. Gone back to school. This is apparently a Big Deal for me - I keep mentioning it{g}! Well, and it is.
  2. Taken up crochet again. I learned when I was in elementary school then played with it again when I was first in college. But I picked it up again last Fall and I've finished (what a beautiful word - Finished!) two baby afghans since then.
  3. Started working for Phyllis. I deliberately put myself in a position to be asked to be her assistant. Knowing that she is an incredibly creative, active, outgoing, unorganized, egocentric Wonder. I had a blast. (Well, actually, this started a little before my 40th, but it leads to step 4...)
  4. Stopped working for Phyllis. I recognized that 18 months with her was enough. I found her a replacement, and turned in my notice. This was important because I didn't let myself get caught in "what will she do without me?"
  5. Started teaching classes at DSP. I like to help people and I like to be an "expert" - so this is perfect!
  6. Vacationed in Hawaii! It was never on my list of places I wanted to visit (the British Isles dominate that list) - but it's now on my list of places I want to go back to!
  7. Gotten my handwriting fontified by Suzanne. There's good reason why DSPKristen is described as a great font for journaling "tweens" - my handwriting hasn't changed/improved significantly since 6th grade! But I decided that I should include my writing in my layouts sometimes, and if other people find it useful - great! I'm not trying to hide it anymore.
  8. Been interviewed on tv and in the paper! Pure fluke - apparently showing up at events in costume will get you noticed{g}! Once at the Commemoration of the 1906 Earthquake, and once (with Mom) at the Re-creation of the 1906 Memorial Day Celebration.
  9. Held - and scanned - an old family photo album that included photos of our Civil War soldier! Mom & I had no idea this album even existed, until one of her cousins brought it over.
  10. Visited Disneyland with my sister and her family. Not as big a deal as if we lived in, say, North Dakota - we do live in California, and though long, a drive is possible. But still, only the second time we've taken the kids and it'd been 5 years since the last time. We had a wonderful time!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A significant list for sure. You have done quite a bit with your life and have every reason to be proud of your accomplishments.

8:15 AM PDT  
Blogger Sandra Holmes Stanton said...

You have been busy!! Feels kind of nice to see it listed in front of you this way, doesn't it? Well done!

9:51 AM PDT  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

I've never been to Hawaii but I want to go so badly! Please take me with you. I'm also at the point where I want to retire (one more year, I said) but I'm so worried about what will the kids do without me! I hope I have the strength that you had to leave.

11:37 AM PDT  
Blogger Glynis said...

Busy busy lady! This is a wonderful list!

1:34 PM PDT  
Blogger Gabby Faye said...

You have had a busy decade so far. Wonderful list.

3:30 PM PDT  
Blogger Meg said...

Great list, and I'm following you! I'm loving teaching at DSU and I'll be fontified as soon as I get off my butt, print out the darned forms, and fill them out!

I love the honesty with which you seem to live your life, and your accomplishments are awesome!

6:50 PM PDT  
Blogger heather said...

You've achieved a lot - love the sound of those holidays (I got fontified too!!)

7:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home