Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cousins Party

I'm over at Mom's right now, and the cousins just left. They're actually Mom's cousins, plus one of her aunts. We got together to share and scan old family photos, tell stories, and not have any husbands or kids hanging over our shoulders going "Can't we leave yet?"

I have over an hour of story-telling on digital audio - I have absolutely no idea if I'm going to be able to get anything useful off it, since we had eight of us here talking all at once! Aunt Betty and her three girls were here, as well as Auntie Regina's daughters Lyda and Myrna. So we got a lot of sister-chat: "That didn't happen!" "Do you remember..." Also cousin-chat: "Auntie Elma would never have let us get away that!" Lots of fun!

Last night Mom and I carefully dismantled a Victorian photo album and scanned all the identifiable photos. The newest photos were 1890s - the oldest were tintypes from 1859 and the Civil War. Someone, alas, had carefully taped them in place, and labeled them by writing in ballpoint pen. On the upside - they did almost all get labeled so we know who they are, and the photos are still in good condition.

I scanned lots more photos today from the albums they brought. We picnicked out back, and Gail made strawberry shortcake in honor of her mom Betty's birthday. We're already planning the next get-together, probably in Sacramento this time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Kirsten, what a great time you're having! My DH and I are only children and reading your entry made me wish I was there with you all, sharing the memories :o)

1:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh wow! 1859.
It's great that your getting all these gaps filled in now. My mother died 8 years ago and I had never given any thought to preserving memories back then. Now I have a bunch of photos and I don't know who they are or what their connection to my family is.

3:58 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home