Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Monday, June 12, 2006

20+ Years of Computers

I first played with computers in high school - we had a brand-new computer lab with Apple ///s. But I ignored them all through college except that the last paper I wrote at UCI was on someone else's computer. I decided them that being able to make changes to the first paragraph when you came up with a great idea when you reached the last paragraph was pretty cool.

Somewhere in the late 80s I inherited my sister's Apple IIe when they upgraded to a MAC! I puttered with using it for writing, but didn't find it very user-friendly. And I got really frustrated when I tried to play games on it.

After that - the big break-through! Grandma & Grandpa Chatham gave us each a good chunk of money one Christmas in the early 90s and I bought a used car and a Mac Powerbook. I was working graveyard at a motor inn and was bringing the computer to work with me. I got online with AOL (or as much as you could get online with AOL then!) I found the romance writers group and the needlework group. (Funny thing - I was a moderator for the needlework group - still have the t-shirt, even! See a pattern?) Then I discovered webpages. And that you could write them yourself. The tools were barely more than plain text, which gave me a good solid understanding of html. My first site was A Regency Repository, a directory of anything of interest to Regency Romance writers and readers, posted at geocities. It's still out there, several revisions and a move or two later.

And learning html lead me to go back to school and specialize in Multimedia Studies. I sold my laptop and bought a Mac 7200. In the labs at school, I learned to work on PCs too, which was very good, because my first job as a web developer was for a company that worked on PCs. So I added a PC to my collection. It's since been replaced with a newer, more powerful Dell.

Currently I have my Dell, and the iMac and PC from the web design company. Friday (after 4 phone calls and 2 tries) a local company that recycles computers came and picked up the Apple IIe, 3 antique Macs, 2 printers, and a box of software for the IIe. I'm slowly, very slowly, decluttering - and I haven't touched any of these in years, even decades. I kept thinking I'd get the IIe up and running, just to see if I could, but it never happened.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Oh yes. I remember how empowered I felt writing my own web pages in the mid-90s. And for a while there I got quite precious when the early html tools became available -- it wasn't 'real' programming.

1:38 AM PDT  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

I still have my Apple IIe floppy disks and I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I'm a "collector" of unusable junk.

3:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Gabby Faye said...

Bless you for recycling. In the early days we recycled old computers for homebound kids so they could "talk" with other kids their own ages. Now everyone has a computer so I don't know what they do with them.

9:36 PM PDT  
Blogger faery-wings said...

How funny! We have a "graveyard" for pc's in my attic. Pieces and parts habby just can't get rid of... *grin*

3:44 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home