Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Teacher, Teacher

I had lots and lots of great teachers all through school but, considering what I spend my days and night doing, the most influential was Capt. K - Mr Koppelman, who taught geometry and established the first computer lab at Santa Rosa High in 1980. We had Apple IIe computers. I learned to run the crossword puzzle-making program, and also programmed a pair of computers to play the Masterpiece Theatre theme in harmony. I didn't follow up on it immediately, because Computer Science required much too much of the wrong kind of math. But when the Mac came out, I was ready to experiment. I knew computers could be fun, because I'd had so much fun in Capt. K's classes. He didn't steer me wrong!

I was just thinking - I was a History major in college but my history teachers in jr high and high school were probably the worst teachers I had. I was just that determined to learn more.

2 Comments:

Blogger loonyhiker said...

Sometimes bad teachers can motivate you just as good ones can. Mine worst teacher really made me more determined to be a teacher so I could show the world that not all teachers were that way!

3:45 AM PDT  
Blogger Gabby Faye said...

Interesting that you pursued history in spite of those teachers. Did "Cpt. K" (cute name, actually) influence the teacher you are, I wonder.

7:34 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home