Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Fun with Static

I just thought of this and decided I'd best capture it before it flitted.

Growing up, we'd go up to Redding to visit the grandparents several times a year. Two of the trips were usually winter trips: once in early-mid December for Grandma's birthday and to get the Christmas tree, and once in late February to celebrate Granny's birthday.

Now, it wasn't unusual for a good strong North wind to be blowing. Not only did this clear the air so that you could see everything, it also generated a tremendous static charge everywhere. We'd shuffle through the house sock-footed, and then touch each other. We'd build up enough charge to give a good snap!

But what I really remember is that after going to bed, we'd play with the sheet and blanket. If we pulled the blanket straight up in the air quickly not only could we hear the crackle, we could see the sparks! And sometimes we could get the same effect from our nightgowns.

I haven't thought of this for years, and try as I might, I can't follow my train of thought back to the last station to figure out what triggered it today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Oh man! I used to do that too!! Flannel nightgowns worked the best! I would never have remembered that without your post! Thanks for sharing, no matter what the source of the memory!

6:46 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home