Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Home Sweet Home - for Better or Worse

I'm living in the town I grew up in - so that's a Good Thing right at the start. My parents and one sister are here in town, and the other sister's only an hour away. Growing up, we were only a few hours away from the grandparents in opposite directions.

The climate is ideal - no snow, for a good start. When it gets hot in the summer, it only gets really hot for a few days or maybe a week at a time and then the fog comes in. And, especially since I got the new roof, I love the winter rains. The hills turn bright green then.

As to my specific living arrangement, I own my own 2-bedroom mobile home. Enough room to spread out in (although I'm trying to de-clutter and arrange...) I very much like having my own space, without roommates. I like not having a neighbor just the other side of a wall, floor, or ceiling so that I don't have to worry about playing music or a dvd at 3 in the morning.

What's not to like? I am not a gardener, and by myself, the yard runs to weeds and neglect. And speaking of the yard, I have three mightily tall palm trees in the backyard (far too big for the small space) and one tree at the front of the space that's pushing up the corner of the house and breaking the driveway.

The mobile home is over 30 years old. So almost everything in it is that old as well - the avocado green bathroom, the harvest gold panels in the other bath, the heater, the oven, the green linoleum in the kitchen, the front porch. I've painted most of what can be painted, replaced the washer/dryer, the roof, the stove, added a dishwasher.

I'm in California, so prices for everything are higher than almost anywhere else in the US. Most noticeably, gas. Always amusing, in a sharp sort of way, to hear that gas prices in the US may get above a certain point - that we've already passed.

I'm at the far northern edge of the san Francisco Bay Area. So, while there are lots of living history and dance events in the Bay Area, almost all of them are at least two hours away, and on the other side of a toll bridge.

5 Comments:

Blogger debra said...

Sounds absolutely beautiful... I'm ready for pics and a tour!

7:31 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to get back to San Francisco again.

7:55 PM PDT  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

Sounds like a wonderful place, even if you have to use a toll bridge to get to the fun places! But my hubby is so cheap...oops I mean frugal, that we would probably never go any place!

3:09 AM PDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Kristen your decor is right back in fashion again. Enjoy being trendy before you paint over the top of it.

4:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Pam said...

I had a mobile home for much the same reasons - I liked that the walls were mine to put pictures up and I had a washer & dryer and it was nice not to worry about vacuuming in the wee hours.

11:40 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home