Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Fantasy Camp - Elizabethan Village

I love working the Renaissance Faire - but it's over too soon and there are many things that you just can't do at a Faire.

So - I would love to spend a week or two in an Elizabethan village. Actually brew the ale we serve at the Inn. Tend a kitchen garden, cook over an open fire, bake bread. Re-learn how to use a drop-spindle. Feed chickens and pigs. Sit and gossip with the neighbors, sing and dance in the evenings.

So, there would be a few less pleasant aspects of this. Getting up much too early. Outdoor privies. Slaughtering and plucking the chickens. Dealing with men who think, just because legally they're in charge, that it actually works that way in daily life.

Since this is a fantasy, after all{g}, I would naturally be able to take all my Faire friends with me - and more than a few of them are good practical historians with hands-on experience with most of daily life.

In fact, some of them already have full-scale plans for just such an establishment. Alas, that land prices and local zoning make this far too much of just a fantasy.

9 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Oh I do like your fantasy village. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like to actually live in Elizabethan times (the unsanitary approach to life alone would freak me out), but it would be great to pay a visit to that era.

6:08 AM PDT  
Blogger Glynis said...

Sounds like fun..except for the privies!!

2:06 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well if they (you) ever get it up and running I want to buy the first tickets. Sounds like it would be fun for a short while. I wouldn't want to do it permanently though.

3:41 PM PDT  
Blogger ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Sounds great to me! I think a week or two would be just about the right amount of time to get the experience without going overboard. (I like indoor plumbing too much to do without it any longer than that)

3:57 PM PDT  
Blogger heather said...

It sounds wonderful :) Maybe just a weekend for me!

4:14 PM PDT  
Blogger Gabby Faye said...

Sounds wonderful! We have a Rennaisance Faire in Michigan every year for 5 or 6 weekends. We used to go but it is too much walking, now. Gee..there are SO many different historical eras. How about a different camp each year?

4:30 PM PDT  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

My sister brought me to a renaissance faire on Long Island one year but I don't know if they've done it since. I wish we had one in South Carolina. These sound wonderful!

5:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Tiffani said...

I love the Ren Faires...don't think I could deal with outdoor privies...

11:37 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh that sounds like a WONDERFUL Camp Karen...just amazing... Can I get tickets please?

6:43 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home