Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Historical Reality Shows

I don't have cable at home, so I've only caught snippets of Survivor and other reality shows over the years. But I've had friends and family describe one particular variety - the historically-based ones - The 1900 House, Frontier House (set in 1880s Montana), and Colonial House (set in the 1620s). Since we spend a lot of our free time researching, discussing (and actually doing!) Living History, these shows caught the attention of those of us with cable. The general consensus has been "Man, that looks like fun!" followed by "Good grief, don't these people know anything?" The conclusion was that the producers prefer the totally clueless for the "entertainment" value.

I have no doubt that I could handle the historical challenges - cooking over an open fire or a wood stove, dealing with long skirts and corsets, housework, etc. I certainly have a better grasp of the mind-set of the period than most of the contestants. Of course, getting up so early would be a trial, and the loss of chocolate and books (in most cases) would be unpleasant.

What I don't have is the competitive edge, or the exhibitional bent suitable for confrontational tv. I just wouldn't create the sort of situation that anyone would want to watch!

6 Comments:

Blogger loonyhiker said...

These historical reality shows sound cool! I've never heard of them but will look for them now.

2:54 AM PDT  
Blogger heather said...

Oh I agree, I can't imagine doing everything in front of cameras!!

4:22 AM PDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes they usually seed the shows with a few people who have absolutely no idea of how (or why) people behaved in that era. Let's face it, they're not really interested in the documentary value only the entertainment/ratings.

4:50 AM PDT  
Blogger faery-wings said...

excellent point- to do well on tv you have tobe a certain type IRL- I'd be boring too.

4:56 AM PDT  
Blogger ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I really like the historical shows. My favorites are "The Ship" participant are on 17th century sailing vessel & have to sail around Australia & to some islands and Manor House, which hap people living in a large English manor in a pre-WWI setting, both as the masters & the servants.

12:08 PM PDT  
Blogger Gabby Faye said...

I totally forgot about those shows. Yes, I have been quite hooked on several of them. No one gets voted off, but there are some very human reactions. I just wonder if anyone now would survive living in the 40s...the war years with rationing and all. Those were tough years.

4:02 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home