Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

My Favorite Thing

My favorite thing would have to be a book. I've been in love with books and reading since kindergarten, I think. I certainly don't remember learning to read, I just remember reading. I can find a touch of romance, swashbuckling adventure in fantasy, the excitement of the unknown in science fiction, the certainty that right will prevail in mysteries. Then there are all the volumes of history, fascinating to see how we've changed, and how much has stayed the same. I also love a good how-to book, whether I'm ever going to actually try what they're teaching or not.

If I had to choose a single book, I'd probably say The Lord of the Rings single volume edition. Adventure, friendship, romance, fighting the good fight, humor, travel, the triumph of good over evil - he fit so much into his story. It's such an inspiration to imagination - so many corners you can turn and ask yourself "what if?" But it could also be because I just re-read them, just re-watched all three movies, and I'm currently listening to an unabridged version of The Fellowship of the Ring.

I think I'd best stop here. I can't imagine being without my computer or my camera. I have furniture, photos and keepsakes from my grandparents and great-grandparents that I greatly treasure. But my first, instinctive response was - A Book!

9 Comments:

Blogger Glynis said...

I have a feeling that your blog and mine today are going to be very similar. LOTR is in my top three of all-time favorite books, too!

5:53 AM PDT  
Blogger Gabby Faye said...

Interesting response. I love books in general, but could never choose a favorite. I buy and buy, read and read, then pass on to one or another of my friends. I have even left a book or two in coffeehouses with a note for others to read and pass it on.

6:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Me too- I love books, hard to choose just one though.

6:56 AM PDT  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

I'm like Laura. I love to read too but I buy lots and read lots. I read when I'm eating breakfast and before going to bed. I read in the car on the way to the store (when my hubby is driving) or on long trips. I would rather read than watch TV.

12:30 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I too love them, and like you I don't remember learning to read, just be able to. Although if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably "The Tontine."

12:44 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristen said...

Now, I don't want to give the impression that LotR is the only book in the house! The living room is completely lined with bookshelves. My computer & crafting books fill 2.5 bookshelves in the office. My cookbooks have taken over the built-in in the dining room. There are piles of books in the bedroom. Even the hallway has 2 bookshelves and an extra pile of books. I was trying to follow the letter of the prompt by choosing one thing - one book.{g}

7:01 PM PDT  
Blogger ComfyMom~Stacey said...

A book owuld have been my first choice, but I couldn't decide which book. I love LOTR but I was thinking about the Belgariad series or Hitchhikers Guide as well

11:59 AM PDT  
Blogger Karen said...

And of course, a book can go pretty much anywhere with you. So it's always at the ready.

5:28 AM PDT  
Blogger Tiffani said...

Great choice and great book. I also love the belgariad series Stacey mentioned...I now love my books on cd and mp3's...its as close as my Shuffle...however nothing beats turning the pages on a book...

9:22 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home