Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Grandma Chatham's Sugared Walnuts

Favorite family recipes for Christmas? There are so many to choose from! Especially since Dad & Mom's birthdays are the 23rd and 24th and we celebrate with traditional dinners both nights.

But the recipe I'm sharing is a revival. Grandma Chatham would bring a mincemeat pie (Mom's favorite - actually made with meat! - in Grandma's case, neck of venison) and sugared walnuts. I was never interested in the pie (they made pumpkin for us kids) but I loved the walnuts. The combination of the flavored sugar over the sharp bite of the walnut is wonderful.

I've had the recipe for years and years, but was afraid to play with boiling sugar. Then I started experimenting with different recipes for the Faire, and discovered hot sugar wasn't that scary after all. And so I dug out Grandma's recipe and was amazed and delighted with how easy it was! She flavored hers with cinnamon, or with orange juice and zest, or lemon juice and zest. Since I make these for the Dickens Christmas Fair and Kathleen is allergic to cinnamon, I use allspice.

Martha Chatham's Sugared Walnuts
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
4 cups walnuts
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Bring sugar, water and honey to a boil. Cook 10-12 minutes until sugar sheets between the tines of the fork.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in cinnamon. Cool 1-2 minutes, then add walnuts. Spread on parchment and separate nuts.

Notes: The first time I made these, I dipped the fork in the mix as soon as I started, so I could see the difference between "not done" and "done". I've also eliminated the honey on occasion (I don't always have it in the house) and the recipe works fine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gabby Faye said...

I can smell them now!!!

3:59 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home