Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Exercise? Grr!

Do I exercise? Not much. Not nearly enough.

But in the last several months I've started taking walks in the evening. Sometimes once around the mobile home park (15 minutes when I started, closer to 10 now unless I wind in and out of all the cul-de-sacs.) Sometimes across the schoolyard behind me and around the long block. The last couple of times I've explored some of the sidestreets around here. I've been thinking that I need to do "field trips" now and again and go walk along Santa Rosa Creek, or in one of the parks. I've found it feels good to move, and I get a lot of thinking done.

I've got a lovely "bribe" set up for it too. Every time I walk, I drop fifty-cents into a pretty glass bowl I have by the phone. When I've walked enough, I'm buying an iPod - and walking some more! The bowl says I've taken 48 walks so far. I was looking at iPods (my sister Kelly and her husband have a pair and several accessories) and realized that I'm never out of reach of a CD player - one in the car, one in the living room, one in the computer. The only time I'd use an iPod would be outside the house. So the deal is, by "earning" one by walking, I'm proving that I actually have a use for one. And I'm looking forward to it - I bought a cheap portable CD-player to tide me over, and if I start walking too fast it skips. Besides, the geek in me really likes the iPod-as-gadget!

I found the local Scottish country dance group online and they take a break for the summer. So I'll be joining them in September for socializing and exercise - to some of my favorite music! And while the style may be very proper, I know I'll be working up a sweat glow! A good Scottish reel is a lively dance!

And my sister Kai has started at Curves and invited me to join her. It's not in the budget right now but maybe soon.

So, I'm doing more than I was last year, and maybe I'll be exercising even more soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like your 'bribe' idea. May have to try that one myself.

10:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Glynis said...

Good for you, Kristen! I'm convinced that if I could just walk a little in the evenings, it's better than nothing, right? I just can't get motivated!

12:53 PM PDT  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

I hope you get your Ipod because I really enjoy mine. I also download audio books on them which is great when I take trips or I'm in the car for a long time. Good luck!

2:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Bonnie said...

That is a good motivation! Well done.

7:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Any chance that you can do your walk before breakfast? I read somewhere that it burns of the stored fat because you don't have any fresh energy-making food in your body. I figure if I'm going to do this exercise stuff, I want to make it count!

5:36 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home