Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day Celebration

Mom and I dressed in our turn of the (last) century finery (because we could!) and attended the Memorial Day Commemoration at the Old Rural Cemetery. The Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery Association along with the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War recreated the Memorial Day Service from one hundred years ago. The one only weeks after the 1906 earthquake destroyed much of Santa Rosa.

Between the opening and closing prayers, we had a recitation of the Gettysburg Address, a poem to the unknown war dead, a reading of the names of local Civil War veterans dead and alive, Union and then Confederate, followed by the names of veterans of the War of 1812 and the Mexican War. And a fine, impassioned, and remarkably short speech originally given by a schoolteacher-attorney turned judge. This was followed by the singing of My Country 'Tis of Thee and America the Beautiful, including verses to both I'd never heard before. The final touch was the firing of a volley and the playing of taps, provided by members of the American Legion.

It was a remarkably well-done and nicely attended ceremony. Listening to the speakers, making reference after reference to the Civil War and to those who willingly answered the call to arms for the preservation of the Union made me consider how important it is that we citizens be ready to make necessary sacrifices. But it also made me think about how important, how vital it is to make certain that the cause is worthy of such noble sacrifice.

(And reading that last paragraph, I realize how easily my language slips into the patterns and style of other days...)

On a lighter note, should anyone want to know how to get interviewed by local media, the answer is to show up at events in costume! Mom & I were taped and interviewed by the local tv station, and photographed and interviewed by the local paper. Mom is a docent at Luther Burbank's Home & Gardens and they do a Christmas Open House and other events in turn-of-the-century costumes so she already had hers - a green brocade walking skirt I made her and a green-striped blouse. I borrowed her white blouse, wore a long black skirt, and pinned my hair up in a Gibson Girl style. We both had lace parasols (a big hit - everyone asked where we got them. Mom picked hers up in Gettysburg, I got mine at an historical event in San Jose.) And I just realized I have photos of most of the speakers, but didn't think to get one of us! We'll have to see what the paper prints. Maybe next weekend I can talk Mom into getting dressed again for a photo opp.

2 Comments:

Blogger loonyhiker said...

Dressing up like that must be so cool! I would like to dress up like that when I teach the Civil War but I don't sew and buying one off ebay costs too much. Plus, being Chinese, my husband keeps teasing me that there weren't many Chinese southern belles back then! I still think it would be neat to dress up like this to teach a lesson. I may check into renting a costume from a costume shop (if there is one near me!)

5:38 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

A wonderful way to commemorate Memorial day. Would love to see pics of your dresses.

9:09 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home