Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Just Like Grandma Made It

There are lots of foods that have emotional connections - Grandma Chatham's lemon meringue pie, Dad's Swedish pancakes, even foods like turkey and brownies that bring to mind Grandma Skold's "challenges" in the kitchen.

But the ultimate comfort food is peanut butter and jelly on graham crackers.

We used to have this at Grandma Chatham's. Occasionally, Mom would let us have these at home. My sisters and I have this now and again when we're all together.

Now, you need to have Honeymade graham crackers.

Skippy peanut butter - it's easier to spread if you get the smooth but crunchy is an option too.

The hardest part to get these days is the blackberry jelly. Grandma used to make her own - we'd pick the berries for her from the patch over by the pond. Nowadays, we're stuck trying to find it in the stores - and generally stuck finding a jam with the fewest seeds in it. Maybe this summer, since we're not working Faire, I'll have time to find a pick-your-own berry patch and we'll see if Mom and I can make some.

To accompany this, you need milk, potato chips (not ruffled, just plain), and dill pickles. When Kai visited me in college, we bought the pickles and left the open jar on the kitchen table between us, even though neither of us eats pickles. Mom and Grandma did, and you need the scent for the setting to be complete.

A simple indulgence - but just filled to the brim with memories.

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

You had me firmly by the taste buds in your first paragraph. But then you mentioned peanut butter and you lost me. And when you brought dill pickles into the mix I was completely destroyed.
But enjoy your comfort food anyway, Kristen.

5:06 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristen said...

Mind - *I* don't eat the pickles either! Nasty, unpleasant things! But to create the full effect, you need at least the jar sitting there.

5:46 AM PDT  
Blogger Meg said...

well....it sounds nasty to me, but I'm willing to give it a try! We make our own blackberry jam, too, from my grandparents' bushes! Mmmm, I do love blackberry jam, guess I'll have to try this!

11:50 AM PDT  
Blogger Glynis said...

Great post, Kristen...I'm drooling on my computer. I'm a fanatic for peanut butter on everything--I'll have to try it with jelly and graham crackers. Why did I never think of that??? LOL

12:21 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds good to me Kristen...I love apple jelly...and I wonder if it would be the same. This sounds like a wonder of a tradition to begin w/ my girls. Maybe Sundays, after church and family prayer, we can sit that the table, with a comfort food and have girl/mommy/daughter talk...

12:31 PM PDT  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

What wonderful memories and a great sensory link! I'm glad you have this comfort food!

1:46 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought you lot (Stateside) were made to eat peanut butter and jam - but I love it :o) Mum used to make her own jam, raspberry and blackberry - it's just not the same from the shop.. **whisper** And I love pickles - shhh!!!

2:06 PM PDT  
Blogger ArtcTrish said...

oh, I forgot I loved peanut butter and jelly on grahm crackers! I haven't had that in forver!!!! And put them in the microwave so the whole kitchen smells like graham crackers!!! I'm not a pickle fan but comepletely understand the smell thing. Your post just makes me smile!!!!!

3:22 PM PDT  
Blogger heather said...

A tasty read!

3:58 AM PDT  
Blogger faery-wings said...

Even though none of the foods would be my fav's, my favorite part of your post is that you had to have the jar of pickles with you. That really touched my heart.

4:46 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home