Omniscrapper

Scrapbooking - digital, paper and hybrid. Other crafty things. Family history and Book of Me memories. A record of progress (and not) with The Book.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Five Bestest Words

Only five? That's the challenge here. There are so many lovely words in the world.

Pachyderm This was the first word Dad taught me. I got my love of words from him - I have an entire layout (someday to become a 2-page spread) of his favorite words and phrases. Sprint, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, figurese (Spanish for Imagine that!) Growing up, our dinners frequently ended with either the dictionary or the atlas out, looking up something that Dad said that we couldn't quite believe.

Family I'm blessed to have my family near, my parents and both sisters and their families. Mom was an only child, but her Dad was one of eight. The Chathams have nearly all stayed in Northern California, and though we've lost more than half of Grandpa's generation, The Cousins still get together occasionally for picnics. And then there's my Faire Family - the folks I've worked Renaissance Faires and Dickens Fairs with for over twenty years. Whether it's the Irish tuatha (pronounced tu-ah, meaning clan) or the family running the Green Man Inn, the feeling, the connection (and the occasional squabble) is all family.

Book The word's a little plain (tome is so much more romantic) but I've been in love with books for longer than I can remember. I don't remember learning to read, I just remember, even in first grade, finishing my schoolwork so I could go pick out a book and read. Fantasy, Science Fiction, History, Romance, How-To, Cookbooks, Computer Books, Biography. My house is filled with them and the word Book means pleasant company, new ideas, new skills.

Crimson (see also Scarlet, Puce, Bloodred, Burgundy, Maroon) I love rich reds, and I love the word Crimson. It feels royal and romantic. It's a Crimson velvet gown on a court lady, a Crimson cloak on a loyal knight, a noble steed caprisoned in crimson and gold.

Zia This is the Italian for Aunt. One of my nephews is half-Italian, and so I decided I was going to be Zia rather than Auntie Kris. Especially since Kelly's kids have several other "aunts" among the Faire family, being Zia is unique and special.

6 Comments:

Blogger loonyhiker said...

I really liked pachyderm and Zia! Nice post!

1:15 PM PDT  
Blogger ArtcTrish said...

Ohhh! I love Zia...that is unique and very special I'm sure!

1:39 PM PDT  
Blogger Glynis said...

Fantastic list, Kristen. They are special words and you've done a great job explaining why!

2:33 PM PDT  
Blogger Meg said...

Excellent! I love your words! My grandpa (the father figure in my life) always sent us running to the dictionary over words we were SURE he made up. He was right every time, and I've loved words ever since! Great post!

8:21 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pachyderm does have a certain ring to it :o) Great words and insights.

12:05 AM PDT  
Blogger faery-wings said...

Your dad sounds great. I like doing stuff like that with my kids, but it doesn't happen as often as I like.
And Zia is just awesome. :)

4:43 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home